Burn Treatment: Hyperbaric Medicine
To function normally, the body needs a continuous and adequate supply of oxygen. When the skin and tissues sustain an injury—such as a severe thermal burn, the demand for oxygen increases dramatically to promote the recovery process. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy helps to increase the amount of oxygen that a person’s blood cells can carry, restoring the normal levels of oxygen in the blood and promoting healing of the burned tissue.
Inside a hyperbaric oxygen tank, patients are exposed to higher levels of pure oxygen at increased atmospheric pressure. Under these conditions, the lungs are able to capture more oxygen than normal and circulate it to the tissue in need of repair.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy can provide many benefits to patients suffering from burn injuries. This advanced technology has been shown to:
- Limit the progression of a burn injury
- Reduce the swelling and inflammation of a burn injury
- Reduce recovery times and hospital stay
- Promote new capillary growth and healthy blood flow to new tissue
- Promote the survival of skin grafts used for more severe burns
- Inhibit infection by supporting the development of white blood cells
- Reduce the need for surgical intervention in some cases
By reducing swelling and promoting the fast healing of the burn injury, hyperbaric oxygen therapy can even reduce the appearance of scars. This can help to prevent the long-term physical and emotional scars that many burn patients can suffer as a result of their injury.
At West Hills Hospital & Medical Center , we understand that a burn injury can be a frightening experience. For this reason, the skilled staff of the Grossman Burn Center is dedicated to providing the highest quality of care and making our patients as comfortable as possible during their stay with us. You can learn more about our specialized burn center by calling (818) 676-4000 today.